Thursday, August 6, 2009

what's hiding right in front of our faces?

this quote was, for starters. it is posted in a semi-obscure area of my workplace and i just noticed it this week. (i have been here since march.) i think it was meant for me to see.

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
- Alexander Graham Bell

it is hard for me to remember to keep my eyes open sometimes, and recognize opportunity when it presents itself. and it is also difficult for me to look forward instead of back. but i'm trying. the idea of keeping options open is a frightening thing, though, because i feel like i do a lot better when i have a clear path or role that i am supposed to play. ambiguity, i'm finding, can screw with your expectations. i think, for me, it needs to be a system of alternating between surveying options and taking a path. it's just tricky to do this with a lot of things at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment